Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Windows tip: If you use Dropbox for portable software, stay away from System Restore

Windows tip: If you use Dropbox for portable software, stay away from System Restore

Filed under: Utilities, Windows, Productivity

systemrestore

I love it when troubleshooting only serves to aggravate the problem. Do you know that warm, fuzzy feeling you get right after you finish executing a long, irritating troubleshooting procedure, only to realize that it screwed with your system and made it even worse than it was before?

Ahh, ... that warm glow. Today, I got to experience it for the second time while using System Restore under Windows 7. My favorite screenshot application, Screenpresso died on me; I did everything in my power to fix it, and one of those things was a System Restore.

I use my Dropbox (which is right under the Documents folder) to store some portable software so that I can run the same software on, both, my laptop and my desktop. Now, System Restore goes out of its way to explain that your documents will not be affected.

Naively, I trusted Microsoft and went ahead and ran System Restore. Imagine my surprise when I found out that all EXE files had been wiped clean off of my Dropbox and off another folder that I keep under my Documents folder (a Bazaar version control repository). And I'm talking all EXE files here - not just stuff that has been added since the restore point was created. Way to go, Microsoft! At least I was able to fix it by undoing the System Restore.

Since this is the second time that this same thing has happened to me, and I am apparently not the only one, I thought I would share. Maybe it can save you some grief, or you can clue me in in the comments as to why this happens and (more importantly) how to keep it from happening.

Windows tip: If you use Dropbox for portable software, stay away from System Restore originally appeared on Download Squad on Thu, 24 Jun 2010 11:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read�|�Permalink�|�Email this�|�Comments


Jessica Biel
Leighton Meester
Jessica Alba

No comments:

Post a Comment