Monday, January 31, 2011

Mixtent Launches to Crack Reputation with Controlled Anonymous Commentary

I've talked to a dozen startups in the last month who are trying again to crack the tricky problem of reducing who you are personally and professionally to a reputation score that can't be gamed and isn't just a outlet for trolls and haters. I'm not convinced it can be done, as I argued with Klout's Joe Fernandez, and beyond that I'm not convinced it should be done. Social media has already given plenty of people an unhealthy obsession with measuring their self-worth in friends, followers and retweets. Anyone who faces a mob of angry commenters for every word they blog knows the truth: The Internet is too big to take even a large number of haters too seriously. Even hundreds of comments saying "YOUR AN IDITO!" are still just a tiny angry minority, who just wants to be heard. But there are some instances where getting closer to capturing reputation online could help solve real world problems, and most are in the professional sphere. After all, I don't have to care what a guy on the street thinks about me, but if that guy on the street is friends with the hiring manager for my dream job, suddenly his opinion becomes hugely relevant to my life. The workplace is the one place where people's opinions of you actually matter. I'm actually writing about two new companies today that I think get closer to solving this problem than LinkedIn has, and might be worth the foray into the seedy world of inviting your peers to judge you. The first is Mixtent.

Source: http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Techcrunch/~3/ILC1yAz1CJY/

NETWORK APPLIANCE NETGEAR NCR NATIONAL SEMICONDUCTOR NATIONAL INSTRUMENTS MOTOROLA MOODYS

No comments:

Post a Comment