Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Search Your Online Data In One Place with Greplin for iPhone

Search Your Online Data In One Place with Greplin for iPhone
It’s not that I’ve a bad memory, it’s simply that I’ve too much to remember. I’ve three email accounts, nearly a dozen social media accounts, two Dropbox accounts and a plethora of online documents. Very often, I’m left scrambling for information simply because I can’t recall what’s stored where. Therefore, I’ve always longed for a custom search [...]

Greplin for iPhoneIt’s not that I’ve a bad memory, it’s simply that I’ve too much to remember. I’ve three email accounts, nearly a dozen social media accounts, two Dropbox accounts and a plethora of online documents. Very often, I’m left scrambling for information simply because I can’t recall what’s stored where. Therefore, I’ve always longed for a custom search app which can search all my online entities and quickly return the info that I need. When I came across Greplin, it appeared nothing short of a godsend.

So, what is Greplin and why do I need it? Simply put, it’s a search engine that makes it easy to consolidate your social media information in one place. The idea is to deal with information overload and keep things manageable so that they can be easily found. Greplin support the following third-party services – Gmail, Google Docs, Google Calendar, Facebook, Twitter, Dropbox and LinkedIn.

I’ve used Greplin’s HTML5 site in the past and was mighty impressed with the features it provided. Therefore, I’d great expectations of the recently launched Greplin iPhone app.

Once installed, the app prompts you to sign up for a new account or sign in with your existing credentials. If you don’t have a Greplin account, get one here - it’s quick and easy.  Once you sign in, click on the + button on the top right corner to add accounts to be searched.

Greplin Screenshot

I added my Gmail, Facebook and Twitter accounts to Greplin. Then, I searched for a few specific items that were either included in my mail, Facebook status or tweets and the app generally did well to find them all. Users can configure specific service settings through the Settings option as shown below.

Greplin Screenshot #2

Greplin maintains a history of your recent searched and even suggests some searches on its own.

Greplin Screenshot #3

Searching for any string neatly organizes the search results into multiple sections as shown below.

Greplin Screenshot #4

All in all, Greplin seems to be a handy app which can quickly find information from multiple sources and saves you the hassle of remembering what’s placed where. Users have the option to upgrade to Greplin Premium (USD $4.99/month or $49.99/year) to add more services including Google Apps Mail & Calendar, Google Reader, Evernote, Salesforce, Yammer, Basecamp, Tumblr and several others.

If you haven’t tried Greplin, we strongly recommend that you give it a shot. After all, it’s free!

This article, Search Your Online Data In One Place with Greplin for iPhone, was originally published at simonblog.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment